WEANING TIPS AND ADVICE FOR BABIES AND TODDLERS
Take a peek at our top tips, from when to start and how, to the best foods to begin your little one’s weaning journey.
THE BEST WAY TO WEAN YOUR BABY
Spoon fed, or baby led, there are two popular ways, rather than feeling you must choose between the two why not combine them to get the best of both worlds!
HOW TO START WEANING
Solid food will feel strange at first, start slowly and simply with one small teaspoon and try including our finger foods. Do this each day until your baby is looking for more.
BABY WEANING TIPS
- Establish whether your baby is ready or not - these are the 3 signs you should be looking for
- Introduce solid food slowly at first -
- Start with veggies. It’s best to start with one vegetable at a time, so that your baby’s precious palate gradually learns to distinguish between individual tastes.
- Ensure a variety of food so your baby grows up accepting a wide range of flavours and different foods
- Avoid overly sweet or salted foods. It’s important that the flavours are not masked with salt or sweetened to make the savoury flavours more acceptable.
- Know when they've had enough. Babies are generally aware when they’ve had enough and are good at indicating it, so if they start turning their head away or fuss when you offer more food, or even clamp their mouth shut, these are cues for you to respond to.
- Remember your babies’ appetites will vary a lot from day to day and for the first year your baby will be getting the majority of the nutrients and calories they need from breast milk or formula, so don’t worry if they aren’t taking in as much of the solids as you would like them to.
- Try not to worry, whether you’re following baby led weaning over traditional spoon feeding methods, or a combination of the two, there is no right or wrong way. The main thing is your baby eats a wide variety of food and learns to enjoy the start of a journey that will last the whole of their lives!
Baby Fish Pie
This delicious baby fish pie is one of our most popular recipes, simply pureed or mashed for your little ones - get the recipe here and give it a try today.
Really Welsh Rarebit
This simple, affordable family recipe makes the most of luscious leeks which are really tasty when eaten in season.
Baby Rice & Banana
A simple first weaning recipe using our very own baby rice. You can try it out with different fruits for a different twist.