WEANING TIPS & ADVICE
Weaning your baby is an exciting journey to begin! Discover our baby weaning tips on when to start and how, as well as the best foods to begin your little one’s weaning journey.
WHAT IS WEANING?
Weaning is the transitional phase in your little one's diet when you gradually begin to introduce solid foods alongside their usual breast milk or infant formula.
WHEN TO START BABY WEANING?
Research suggests the best time to start baby weaning is when they are coordinated, can stay sitting and swallow food. This typically happens around 6 months old, but it’s important to look for the 3 signs to see when your baby is completely ready.
For more advice on when to wean baby, have a look at our when to start weaning guide.
HOW TO WEAN A BABY
The best way to wean your baby is completely down to personal choice. Spoon-fed, or baby led, there are two popular ways on how to wean. Rather than feeling you must choose between the two, why not combine them to get the best of both worlds! Find out more about baby-led weaning here.
BABY WEANING TIPS
The following baby weaning tips are here to guide you through knowing when to start weaning to how to wean a baby in a way that works for you:
- Establish whether your baby is ready to start weaning or not - there are 3 signs you should be looking for
- When weaning a baby, introduce solid food slowly at first
- Start with veggies. It’s best to start with one vegetable at a time, so that your baby’s precious palate gradually learns to distinguish between individual tastes.
- Ensure a variety of baby weaning foods so your baby grows up accepting a wide range of flavours and textures
- Avoid overly sweet or salted foods. It’s important that the flavours are not masked with salt or sweetened to make the savoury flavours more acceptable.
- Know when they've had enough. Babies are generally aware when they’ve had enough and are good at indicating it, so if they start turning their head away or fuss when you offer more food, or even clamp their mouth shut, these are cues for you to respond to.
- Remember your babies’ appetites will vary a lot from day to day and for the first year your baby will be getting the majority of the nutrients and calories they need from breast milk or formula, so don’t worry if they aren’t taking in as much of the solids as you would like them to.
- Try not to worry, whether you’re following baby led weaning over traditional spoon-feeding methods, or a combination of the two, there is no right or wrong way to do baby weaning. The main thing is your baby eats a wide variety of food and learns to enjoy the start of a journey that will last the whole of their lives!
BABY WEANING RECIPES
Baby Fish Pie Recipe
This delicious baby fish pie is one of our most popular recipes, simply pureed or mashed for your little ones - get the recipe here and give it a try today.
Really Welsh Rarebit
This simple, affordable family recipe makes the most of luscious leeks which are really tasty when eaten in season.
Baby Rice Recipe With Banana
A simple first weaning recipe using our very own baby rice. You can try it out with different fruits for a different twist.